The main ingredients are Sweet Potato, Spinach, Coconut Milk and Tinned Chickpeas so relatively low cost too!
If you don’t like chick peas, substitute sugar snap peas, mange tout or simply garden peas.
Check the ingredients needed below and get cooking!
Quick and easy vegetable curry
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 400 g Canned Chick Peas Drained
- 1 medium Onion Finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies (or more to taste)
- 1 handful Spinach Fresh or Frozen
- 1.5 tsp Garlic Paste (or 3 fresh garlic cloves finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste or equivalent fresh grated
- 2 medium Tomatoes Roughly chopped
- 200 ml Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tbsp Ghee (or vegetable oil)
- .5 tsp Turmeric
- 1.5 tsp Ground Coriander
- .75 tsp Ground Cumin
- .25 tsp Tamarind Concentrate (dissolved in a little hot water)
- .5 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- Peel the sweet potato and cut in to chunks of about 1 inch thick
- Peel and finely chop an onion
- Deseed and finely chop 2 green chillies (Tip: If you want to make the dish less spicy put a small slit in each of the chillies and use them whole, fishing them out at the end)
- Roughly chop 2 medium tomatoes
- Combine the turmeric, ground coriander and ground cumin
- Combine a small amount of tamarind concentrate (just the tip of a teaspoon) with boiling water. You don't want to overdo tamarind as it has a very distinctive taste! You can leave this out if you don't have any.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a non stick frying pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the popping of the mustard seeds slows add the onion and green chilli and fry gently for about 5-7 minutes until the onion is soft
- Add the garlic and ginger pastes and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric, coriander and cumin mix and fry for 30 seconds before adding the chopped tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper and fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, the sweet potato chunks and the drained chick peas, stir, cover and simmer for around 15 minutes until the sweet potato is soft enough to pierce easily with a sharp knife.
- Add the spinach, garam masala and some of the water from the tamarind and cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Serve and enjoy!