This is a simple salad inspired by the combination which is perfect for summer. I also had some carrots which I added but you could leave these out. It does take around an hour to simmer the beetroot prior to roasting making this a longer recipe but its incredibly low maintenance and simple to make.
Roasted Beetroot with Feta and Fennel and Watercress Salad
- 1 bunch fresh beetroot
- half a block feta cheese (barrel aged is tasty)
- half a fennel bulb
- 2 handfuls watercress
- juice of half an orange
- 1/2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Wash the beetroot and simmer in a pan of boiled water for approximately an hour. The time will depend on the size of the beetroot but you should be able to slide a knife into them with ease but they should not be mushy. You could do this the day before if you wanted. Then drain and cool and peel the skin off.
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Cut beetroot into chunks and toss with half of the oil, the honey and some salt and pepper. Place of a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes. Give them a toss half way through if needed. (I also added carrots but this is optional).
- Whilst the beetroot cooks finely slice the fennel and toss with the watercress, orange juice and remaining olive oil.
- Divide the beetroot between two plates and crumble the feta over the top. Serve the salad alongside.